The economic crisis in America, while easing slightly, is far from over – especially for the thousands of Long Islanders whose unemployment benefits have recently expired or who have lost full time work and lack health insurance. That’s why NuHealth created the Helping Hands program: to make sure that loss of income does not lead to loss of good health. By enrolling in Helping Hands, our unemployed neighbors can open the doors to a number of health care and coverage options for themselves and their families. We will:
- Determine eligibility for available government insurance coverage, including Medicaid and New York State’s Family Health Plus and Child Health Plus programs.
- Provide Medicaid-eligible individuals with a primary care physician if they do not already have one.
- Enroll those who are ineligible for other government assistance programs in our NuCare program, where they will receive health care on a sliding scale.
- Set up the applicant and his or her family with a primary care physician for a physical and basic health assessment.
- Provide financial assistance to help with health care payments.
For more information or to enroll in our Helping Hands program, call (516) 296-CARE.