Nassau University Medical Center is an American College of Surgeons Verified Level I Trauma center. The trauma program is a clinical service that has oversight and responsibility in caring of the injured patient. All care is under close supervision of faculty physicians with special training and expertise in the management of the patient with multiple injuries. The trauma division supports the integration of services of the hospital for the continuum of care of the injured patient. This integration includes injury prevention programs, pre-hospital, emergency department, critical care, perioperative services, rehabilitation, case management care coordination, as well as discharge planning. Trauma team members actively participate in national and state health care leadership positions and committees. The Nassau University Medical Center has a partnership with Nassau County Fire Police Emergency Medical Services Academy.
As a level I trauma center, we have the knowledge, essential services and equipment to care for the injured patient.
- Surgeons are on-call 24 hours a day
- Helipad is available at the hospital
- The doctors and nurses are all trained in trauma care
- The trauma team is ready when the patient arrives
- Diagnostic and testing equipment are made available immediately to ensure treatment decisions are made quickly
- Designated standby hospital when the President, Vice-President, or leading public figures visit Nassau County
The top five mechanisms of injuries treated at Nassau University Medical Center include:
2. Motor vehicle crashes
3. Pedestrian injuries
4. Other blunt
5. Penetrating trauma.
- NYSDOH designated Level I Trauma Center
- Treats > 1,500 injured patients per year
- Burn Center -Hyperbaric treatment center
- Geriatric Unit -Surgical Post-Acute (SPA) – creation of a 6 bed for the care & management of elderly trauma patients in their post-acute phase of injury.
- 11 bed dedicated Surgical ICU with 24/7 in house critical care coverage.
- ACGME emergency medicine, general surgery, surgical critical care, orthopedics, neurosurgery and anesthesia residencies and numerous other fellowships.
- 24/7 in-house coverage for trauma and anesthesia with back up coverage when needed.
- 24/7 coverage with back up coverage for orthopedics, neurosurgery, endovascular and interventional radiology.
- ATOM instructors
- Critical Care Nursing Fellowship.
- Nursing advanced certifications in the emergency department (ED) and intensive care unit for both adults and pediatric patients.
- Clinical research is active with publications in all aspects of trauma care.
- Basic science research in collaboration with St. John’s University.
- NUMC is the designated facility to treat the President of the United States when the president is in Nassau County.
- Screening Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) program
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Program
Community Outreach & Injury Prevention programs
- Fall Prevention Lectures
- Tai Chi for Arthritis to reduce falls in older adults – evidence-based
- Stepping On to reduce falls – evidence-based
- Sexual Assault Forensic Examiners (SAFE) and Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program
- EMS Lectures (Fire Police Academy) on injury prevention
- Bicycle/helmet/Pedestrian safety Programs
- Car Seat Safety Checks (semi-annually)
- Community Health Fairs with Legislators
- Safe Kids
- Partnership with Hempstead SNUG- Violence Reduction initiative
- Concussion Awareness program
- Stop the Bleed program (National Awareness campaign)