Our bodies are durable machines with strong support structures, but they aren’t indestructible. When bones and joints are broken or bruised, or when movement or speech is compromised due to bone or muscle deterioration, nerve damage, stroke or other disabling events, NuHealth’s specialists in Orthopedics, and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation are ready. In fact, both of these highly regarded services are led by renowned leaders in their respective fields.
- Experienced specialists in trauma, joint replacement, hand surgery, spine surgery, reconstructive shoulder and knee surgery, arthroscopy and sports medicine
- One of only nine joint-replacement surgeons on LI certified in hip resurfacing
- Brand-new inpatient orthopedics unit on NUMC’s recently remodeled 9th floor
- Only one of two inpatient rehabilitation units on LI included in US News & World Report 2010 “Best Hospitals”
- Orthopedic Chair Charles Ruotolo, MD. and Director of Joint Replacement Stanislav Avshalumov named “Best Doctors” by Consumer Research Council
- Director of Spine Surgery Karen Avanesov, D.O. named a Leading Physician of the World by the International Association of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Seamless interaction between the physicians who make orthopedic repairs, and those who develop your personal rehabilitation program
Whether you have a fractured limb, congenital bone deformity, repetitive-motion injury or degenerative disease, the experience of your physician can make all the difference in your recovery. As practitioners in Long Island’s premier trauma hospital, NuHealth’s orthopedists are highly skilled at repairing shattered limbs, but their expertise does not end there. Using both surgical and non-surgical approaches, including restorative therapies, advanced arthroscopic techniques, bone grafts, artificial joints, braces and other medical devices, the Orthopedic Department at Nassau University Medical Center is dedicated to relieving pain and restoring mobility and range of motion. Areas of expertise include:
- Total hip and knee replacements
- Emergency bone and joint fracture repair
- Sports medicine
- Shoulder, hip and knee injuries
- Spine surgery
- Hand surgery
In addition to NuHealth’s experienced orthopedists, a specially trained staff of nurses and allied health professionals are waiting at the dedicated Orthopedics Unit on the 8th Floor of Nassau University Medical Center. This newly-renovated, bright and airy space is the perfect place to recover from emergency or elective orthopedic surgery. What’s more, the close working relationship between our departments of Orthopedics, and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation ensures a smooth transition from repair to rehabilitation.
Clinical supervision of NUMC’s Orthopedics Department is provided by Total Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.
To make an appointment with an orthopedist, call (516) 572-6702