NuHealth, known formerly as Nassau Health Care Corporation, is a Long Island-based health system committed to delivering coordinated medical care, and disease and lifestyle management, to everyone, at every stage of life. Nassau University Medical Center (NUMC), which began in 1935 as Meadowbrook Hospital (then a 200-bed, general hospital in then-rural East Meadow, New York), has become the heart of this unique health organization, serving the public with multiple centers of care. This 1,200-bed health care system is moving toward a new model of care that emphasizes excellent essential hospital and ambulatory services, and primary care.
Growing out of community need, the original Meadowbrook Hospital developed into Nassau County Medical Center by 1974, expanding into a new 19-story dynamic-care building with 530 beds. Meadowbrook Hospital was then renamed Nassau County Medical Center, a safety-net Level I trauma center and teaching hospital. NCMC was renamed Nassau University Medical Center in 2001.
By 1999, Nassau Health Care Corporation, a public benefit corporation of New York State, was created to assume control of Nassau County Medical Center, and the A. Holly Patterson Extended Care Facility, as well as five community health centers, which are now co-operated with the LI Federally Qualified Health Center, Inc. NHCC become known as the NuHealth System in 2008. Making health care more accessible, affordable and patient-friendly for young families, hardworking singles, and seniors with growing health care needs on Long Island is at the core of NuHealth’s mission and vision.
NUMC has matured into a 530-bed tertiary-care teaching hospital that serves as the primary source of medical care for thousands of Nassau County residents. In addition to its own extensive medical and surgical capabilities, NUMC’s affiliation with the North Shore-LIJ Health System allows NUMC to transfer or refer patients requiring highly specialized medicine outside of care offered at NUMC. On-site partnerships with some of the region’s top specialists, including the North Shore-LIJ cardiology team, expands NUMC’s ability to bring highly specialized medicine to NUMC’s patient population.
Nassau University Medical Center
530-Bed tertiary-care teaching hospital and Level 1 Trauma center, founded in 1935 in East Meadow, NY.
A. Holly Patterson Extended Care Facility
589-Bed skilled nursing facility, founded in 1961 in Uniondale, NY.
NuHealth Family Health Centers
Primary care centers located in Elmont, Hempstead, Roosevelt, Westbury and Roosevelt High School (co-operated with LI Federally Qualified Health Center Inc.)
South Ocean Care
Multi-medical specialty & dental facility located in Freeport, NY.
|Nassau University Medical Center||2,667|
|A. Holly Patterson Extended Care Facility||559|
|NuHealth Family Health Centers||66|
Key Statistics (2016)
|Ambulatory Surgical Visits||4,801|
|A. Holly Patterson Average Daily Census||515|
|NuHealth Family Health Centers Visits||111,193|
- North Shore-LIJ Health System
- Hofstra University/North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
- Health Sciences Center of the State University of New York at Stony Brook
- New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine
- American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine
Recent Renovation Projects
- Digital Breast Imaging Center
- Nassau Firefighters Memorial Burn Center
- Addition of 30-Bed Chemical Dependency Rehabilitation
- Addition of 13-Bed Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Unit
- Addition of 35-Bed Adult Psychiatric Unit
- Zaki Hossain Center for Hypertension, Diabetes and Vascular Disease Heart Failure Center
- New Emergency Department opened in May 2011
- New Health Centers in Roosevelt and Hempstead
- Veterans Center opened in March 2011
- New Eye Center
- Renovated Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Department
- Labor and delivery suites in OB/GYN department expected to be completed by end of 2013
- Renovation of intensive care units expected to be complete by end of 2013
- New Catheterization Laboratory expected to be completed in early 2014
- New Primary Care Center
- Renovated ICU’s
- Catheterization laboratory